Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:36:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        dmk <gh@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emulators/rtc and vmware2

My recollection is that the problem relates to calling make_dev() from the
attach routine, and attach from the open call, and of course you can't
open before you make_dev with devfs.  Someone needs to restructure the
driver to match some our other pseudo-device drivers where the device is
properly created as part of module initialization.  If fixed this and
other things locally at one point on my notebook, but eventually got
sufficiently sick of always fixing the kernel module for the latest
-CURRENT change that I gave up on updating it.  I have since lost the
changes, but they shouldn't be too hard to reproduce.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories