Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:40:21 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   [jgrosch@mooseriver.com: Re: Beginning SPARC port]

On Wed, Dec 10, 1997 at 02:57:35PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Jason Evans wrote:

[ DELETED ]

> I would also be a little curious about the availability of sparc hardware
> for hobbyist folk.  Few of us can afford $10K servers, but what other kind
> of more modest setups might be available?  I know you probably aren't a
> walking database of such things, but if you come up with occaisonal
> pointers to folks selling motherboards that might fit into pc cases, and
> maybe  use PCI, and the location of sparc docs on the web, it'd be nice to
> post such things.  I'd read them, and probably lots of others would too.
> It's likely (working where you do) that you'd be more likely to fall into
> that kind of info than I would.

I have been looking around for used SPARC equipment recently. I have been
seeing SPARC 5 with a 1 or 2 gig drive, 64 meg of ram and no monitor going
for between $900.00 and $1500.00. I have seen SPARC 2, IPC, and IPX going
for in the $500.00 to $1000.00 range. This, of course, depends on how much
memory and disk the system has and how much the owner thinks it worth. Sun
monitors are _DAMED_ expensive. I have yet to see one for under $1500.00. I
will most likely end up running mine headless.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses