Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:51:38 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i810 Kernel module for XFree86 3.3.6.

Carl Makin wrote:

> Has anybody played around with porting the agpgart.o Linux kernel module
> to FreeBSD 3.4?
>
> Unfortunately I'm not up to the port myself however I'll help with testing
> it if anyone else is doing it!

We had to reject five i810e-based PCs because they wasn't capable
of running FreeBSD + XFree86 3.3.6. (Of course, I warned about that,
but someone chose the cheaper model "with 133 MHz bus" -- when it runs
at 100 MHz with a PIII 500!).

Personally, I decided to boycott the i810 chipset. I am absolutely
opposed to chipsets including graphics and audio controllers. And IMHO
now Intel Corp. attacks the makers of graphics and audio cards,
imposing [even] more restrictions on our freedom of choice in the
PC market. Rats.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071