Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:39:10 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newbie packages

Okay, let me tighten up my proposal slightly after receiving a few
comments:

Document Title: "A Newbie's Guide to the Ports Collection"

Sections: One for each ports category. Subsections where appropriate,
such as web browsers and email under net. Also meta-sections where
appropriate, such as office suites.

Under each section there should be two entries for each of "beginning",
"intermediate" and "advanced". An individual package can be in more than
one section. Packages should have one or two comments by users, and a
description. Links to additional information are encouraged. Ratings on
the order of "ease of use", "raw power", "geek factor", etc. are a
possibility. I don't want any overall ratings.

I would limit it to packages available on the FreeBSD CD's.

As for hosting this document, I can easily do it, and would place it
under a BSD or freer license for all to use, post and modify. I'm not
that great with dynamic content and stuff, and I don't have a public cvs
server, but I can do it up in DocBook.

David