Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 17:02:23 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        Steve Howe <steve.howe@lhowe.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: English buffoon tries something technically ambitious - ie installing FreeBSD

[format recovered---see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 09:16:15PM +0100, Steve Howe wrote:
> Well,
>
>   not that ambitious really...
>
>   ...I'm trying to install FreeBSD2.2.8 on an HP Brio with a (non-supported)
>  Goldstar CDROM - CRD8322B. So the CD option doesn't work.

ok, forget about the CD.

>   I've made myself a boot floppy, following the normal instructions, which
> seemed to work fine, but only did half the job, in that a boot manager was
> successfully installed, and Windows 98 (spit) can't see the disk that I
> allocated to freebsd.

that's a start...

>   But it never had the ability to download all those fine unixy things like
> files because it had nowhere to download them from.

what kind of installation did you select? via ftp? nfs? do you have another
machine running unix with a CDROM?

>   I got on to the web, and found some documentation telling me to copy
> floppies\kern.flp, and floppies\mfsroot.flp from the CDs. Only problem was
> that I can't find them on the CDs. And I can't see how this will enable me
> to download the rest of the stuff that I will need from the CDs either.
> What's the plan there?

It won't. The instructions there are meant to help people create a boot
floppy which you have already done. If everything fails you can install
from your MS-DOS partition.

Go to http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/x616.html and follow the directions
under "Before Installing from a MS-DOS partition".

Regards,

-Oscar

--
For PGP Public Key: finger obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu