Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:40:38 -0400
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <metcalf@snet.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q: Sound Blaster AWE64D PCI and FreeBSD

Hi,

Just got a new PentiumII 300Mhz with 64MB RAM and Matrox Millenium II
PCI with 8MB WRAM.  I have FreeBSD 2.2.6 installed.  I basically have
all
my hardware working except my sound card.  It's a new fangled AWE64D
PCI PNP.  I understand the AWE64 line has been all ISA up until now and
think mostly everybody currently running them under FreeBSD uses them
(the AWE64 and AWE64Gold ISA).

Does anybody have a AWE64D PCI PNP set up?  I have configured pnp0
and awe0 (as well as the usual sb16 stuff) into my kernel.  I have
entered the
following into the kernel userconfig:

> pnp 1 0 on enable port0 0x220 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5 port1 0x330 port2
0x388
(for SB16 and OPL emulation part of card)
> pnp 1 0 on enable port0 0x201
(for joy0)
> pnp 1 0 on enable port0 0x1020
(Win98 identifies the AWE64D at that io port, although I've also tried
0x620)

Upon booting, the kernel finds no PNP devices.  It detects the awe0 at
0x1020,
but then complains that AWE32 really doesn't exist.  It also finds,
joy0, but my
MS Sidewinder doesn't seem to work.  Maybe it's just that the MS
Sidewinder
doesn't conform to sending the standard signals the joy0 driver expects.

I think I know why the SB16 and OPL emulation doesn't work.  Apparantly,

the AWE64D has hardware SB16 emulation with irq and dma achieved through

a SB-LINK cable connected directly to motherboards that accept that
connection.
Alas, mine does not.

However, I was hoping to get the AWE64D to work.  It's a 32-bit PCI
sound
board using a EMU8008 wavetable synthesizer.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?  At least can anybody point
me
to an internet tutorial, of some sort, for the FreeBSD pnp subsystem?  I
find the
pnp(4) manual page to be informative, but a bit terse.

Thank You,

JM
--
Jeffrey M. Metcalf