Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 03:06:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, entropy@compufit.at, wwoods@cybcon.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8

> Well, with an a.out system, gcc 2.8.1 with all the latest patches from the
> port linked all my KDE apps and whatnot, but they all segfaulted when they
> ran.  The egcs "snapshot" I was using, generated static kde libs fine, but
> some apps tended to segfault, but generally refused to create useable
> position independant code (multiply defined symbols).

Compile it with the 2.8.1 headers and libraries instead of the ones
you will get by default when installing gcc 2.8.1 as a port.

> I've heard it been observed from Linux/Alpha users that gcc has very poor
> 64 bit optimizations anyways.  I think I've heard somewhere on one of
> these fbsd lists that it's not so much a problem paying people to do these
> types of optimizations, as it is finding the talent to do the grunt work.
> I wonder if compensation could persuade some Cygnus folks to work a little
> bit more on the Alpha bits.

The Digital developed Alpha pipeline reordering code has been (and still is)
downloadable from gatekeeper.dec.com.

> > Agreed, we need better C++ support.  But obtaining it at the price of
> > damaging the operating system itself is not a tradeoff I think any of
> > us would be happy with.
>
> Yes, but is egcs really _worse_ than gcc 2.7 on the Alpha, or is just not
> as improved as the x86?  Ideally I'd love to see TenDRA imported...

Me too, but it will be a lot of work; I was hoping to piggy-back off
of some of the Alpha work, which will have, by necessity, seperated
out the machine dependent pieces, like inline assembly, that make
TenDRA unhappy.

Of course, TenDRA is also ELF-centric in the installers, at this point
(just more work that needs doing...).

> Either way, I really haven't seen egcs break any C code, and hell if they
> got gnat working with it..

I have seen it break per thread exceptions stacks in multithreaded C++
code, but you can fix this if you are willing to link all of your
non-threaded programs with libc_r (fat chance, that...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.