Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:14:42 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Vladimir Vrzi? <random@bsd.org.yu>
Cc:        kde@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: When will KDE 2.2.1 be in the ports collection?

On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 03:31:21AM +0200, Vladimir Vrzi? wrote:
> It seems an unusual amount of time has passed from the release of KDE
> 2.2.1, and it's not ported yet, so I was wondering when will it be in the
> ports tree? I rather wouldn't bother compiling it myself, and I'm
> currently using a broken early binary distribution of 2.2, so it's kind of
> an itch -- that's why I must ask.

I've been getting a lot of people asking about when 2.2.1 will be
in ports.  Well, the answer is that I've been bogged down by
school and especially exams in the last few weeks, and this has
delayed 2.2.1 in ports quite a bit.  Someone submitted a patch
recently but I don't have time to test it until Friday afternoon.  In
any case, there is no showstopper in 2.2 in ports that's fixed in
2.2.1 which is another primary reason the ports haven't been
upgraded yet.  Sorry for the delays, but there's good reasons.

By the way, in case you didn't notice, I've formed a group
(kde@FreeBSD.org) to work together on the KDE ports in FreeBSD,
so I'm no longer a bottleneck in upgrades and such.  I suspect
the others are also busy and for the reasons above they haven't
committed any updates either.

As for your "broken early binary distribution", you really should
obtain a newer binary distribution of 2.2 that has all the fixes
we made in the weeks following the official release.  Consult the
manual page for pkg_add(1) on your FreeBSD box to see how to tell
it to get KDE and dependencies, or use portupgrade(1) from ports.

SY,
--
wca