Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 05:36:20 PST
From:      "John McNamee" <jpm@microwiz.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   User vs. Kernel PPP

I've Read The Fine Manual and searched the mail archives for this, but I can't
find an explanation of the tradeoffs between user and kernel mode PPP in 2.1R.

I'm running kernel PPP now, because I had to blindly pick one and I assumed
that a kernel implementation would be more efficient.  I'd like to get some
real information to either confirm that choice or give me a reason to switch.

My primary use of PPP is supporting async dialup users.  I connect to the
Internet with an Ascend Pipeline router, so "outbound" PPP features like dial
on demand don't matter in my environment.  Having said that, I'm sure that
future users who search the mail archives would appreciate replies that cover
both sides.

--
John McNamee <jpm@microwiz.com>
MicroWizards Software Development Services