Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:02:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, nirva@ishiboo.com, hasty@netcom.com, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: X-10 Mouse Remote patch

> Sren Schmidt:
>  |Yep it will endeed, this is the way to do it guys, the current hacks
>  |to moused are, well, nicely put, GROSS!!
>  |Guys you need to do a little design now and then, not all these
>  |quick hacks, if not FreeBSD will end up being like the L word :)
>
> Soren, you need to relax a little or just get in there and do it yourself.
> Mike Smith and I did talk about the design for this beforehand.

I have plenty on my plate to let you guys have an OS you can molest :)
I'm pretty sure Mike didn't suggest you misuse moused like this, or
he has been unaware of your intentions...

> Personally, I'm in favor of a disable-mouse option to moused over this
> device-specific X10-daemon thing that we're talking about feeding moused.
> moused currently deals with serial tty devices.  If we end up with:
>
>                              filtered mouse events
>   N device-specific devices ----------------------> moused
>
> We've got moused knowing how to read a bunch of device-type-specific inputs
> (pipes/sockets/ttys/etc.)  So have we really generalized moused?  Nope.

You got me wrong here, moused should have no pipes/sockets/etc
interfaces, it shall have exactly what it needs and that is the
device/devices of the mouse hw. If you need a deamon for a new
device (and I see a X10-remote-anything as a new device) you
should write one, not try to bend an old one into shape...