Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:46:23 -0500 ()
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: changed to: Frac T3?

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, dennis wrote:

> What I was saying was that I dont thing unix can route a steady
> 86Mbs data stream, so a full T3 on a unix box may very well be
> overkill.

Hmmm...Apparently you are not aware of the Ascend GRF 400.
http://www.ascend.com/products/grf400/grf400index.html

> Gee...what I was hoping to get is what people need.....is there a substantial
> fractional T3 requirement? or does everyone need/want full T3? Would anyone
> buy a 32Mbs card, or is it a waste if it doesnt to full t3? It seems that
> there should
> be a market for relatively low-speed fiber....increasing the clock rate as
> you need
> bandwidth. 20 T1s is a lot of bandwidth.

A lot of bandwidth today, a full pipe tomorrow.

As for building a card that can do frac T3, I think there probably would
be a market. Many are probably looking for a middle ground between T1 and
T3.

-BD