Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 10:15:07 +0100
From:      Lars Koeller <lkoeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: question: Unite or Die?

In message <13FACFD14032@bldg1.croute.com>,
"Larry Dolinar" writes:

>>From:           Edward Ing <edward.ing@utoronto.ca>
>
>dennis wrote:
>> My question is why have two OS rather than one REALLY good one?
>>  Why dont programmers,hackers,develepors of both teams unite to write the
>> ultimite OS?
>>  Why the two teams mock at each other? Dont they see the danger in front of
>> them?
>
>I think you take the "mock" thing a bit seriously; however distasteful you
>may find it, it's not confined to this corner of the net, or society.  It is
>an extremely difficult thing to get many personalities involved in ANY kind
>of development, much less Un*x.  That the FreeBSD team handle it as well as
>they do is a tremendous credit to them.
>
>Apart from the other comments about the development approach, Linux is
>SystemV-ish, FreeBSD BSD-ish.  These two approaches are not entirely

Hmmmpf. Linux want's to be SystemV-ish, but it's more a hermaphrodite cause
there are a lot of BSD is utilities on it. To be SystemV-ish is a bit more
than to have this confusing init-file structure.

>compatible, ask anyone using Sun's products (we do, both kinds).
>
>Additionally, there is no such thing as the "ultimate OS" in my opinion.  We
>use a lot of Novell and NT at my work, and the Internet flame war of those
two (and their followers) is also somewhat reprehensible.  If anything, take
>solace in the fact that progress continues to be made on many fronts.
>Idealism is a wonderful thing, but some pragmatism must figure in as well.
>
>best regards,
>larry

Ciao

Lars

Internet:                                       |  Lars Koeller
  Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE      |  Department of Physics
  ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de             |  University of Rostock
PGP-key:                                        |  Germany
  http://www.nic.surfnet.nl/pgp/pks-toplev.html |

----------- FreeBSD, what else? ---- http://www.freebsd.org ------------