Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:31:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lignux - RMS article (pointer fyi)

> Christoph Kukulies stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Just for those being interested in GPL Copyright issues:
> >
> > http://www.ssc.com/lj/issue30/rms.html
> >
> > contains an article of Richard Stallman on the issue of
> > Linux and GNU (GPL).
>
> *snort* "It's mine, all mine I tell you!!  Those stinking Linux
> bastards have stolen _MY_ software!! How dare they go against the
> almighty GNU?!"
>
> This bit is a giggle :
>
>  "We obtained other components by helping to convince their developers
>   to make them free--for example, the Berkeley network utilities."
>
> And this one shows he has no idea about marketing :
>
>   "...use the terms 'Linux-based GNU system' or 'GNU/Linux system',
>   instead of 'Linux system,' when you write about or mention such a
>   system."
>
> Personally, I'll stick with "bucket of snot", which conveys my opinion
> much more accurately.

I got the pointer from Linux Journal from a colleague.
I'm tempted to write them a reply to this because they
also discredit the BSD camp as 'being busy infighting'...

Anyone interested in a copy of that article of LJ Oct 96?
I can put up a scanned document (tif).

I've also prepared a reply to that article:

" Dear Editor/Publisher

  Regarding the article titled 'The Politics of Freedom' in the Oct. 96
  issue of LJ I would like to mention that the BSD 'crowd' as you put it
  isn't infighting at all. This so called 'BSD crowd' is writing code as
  well and are improving their product in a much more uniform way than the
  different Linux vendors do.

  Linux has been participating to a great extent from that fact in the past.
  (only to mention the BSD based IP networking in Linux).
  As a member of the FreeBSD mailing lists I can tell you that
  Linus Thorvalds himself is a member of these mailing lists and speaks up
  there from time to time.

  And as a side note, it would have fit you better - rather than
  miscrediting the 'BSD crowd' - if you had lost a word on
  the BSD Copyright which is a lot more free than the GPL
  (virus, as it is also called sometimes). While the GPL
  enforces everyone to supply source when distributing his
  software with GNU software - Sometimes I doubt if this diction
  is obeyed in every case with all Linux distributions that
  come from all these different vendors - the BSD Copyright
  isn't that restrictive at all. It proliferates commercial use
  much more than the GPL does.

  Why not broadening the scope of your Journal to other
  free Unices rather than taking this hostile position against
  anything which is not Linux like one could get the impression
  from said article?

  Sincerely

  Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
"

I will post a copy of that article later if anyone is interested in
cross reading/augmenting my reply to the magazine.