Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 07:10:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        loco@loconet.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with error message.

loco@loconet.org wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> when ever i run netscape i get an error saying /etc/pwd.db
> inappropriate file type or format i dono what could have cause this
> but when i edit the pwd.db there's all this ^O^N 23:23:45 peter Exp $
> if someone could help me i would really appreciate it as i don't whant
> to reinstall freebsd.
> thanks,
> chris

Did you install Netscape from the ports/packages, or did you download a
copy of it from elsewhere (i.e., Netscape's site) and install it?  If you
did the latter, perhaps you acquired a copy of Netscape for another
vendor's UNIX or Linux OS that is incompatible with FreeBSD.

Anyway, you might try running..

pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

..to rebuild pwd.db.  That will ensure that pwd.db is in the correct
format (for FreeBSD).  You should never edit pwd.db directly.  Even the
die-hard hackers among us don't do that ;-)  It is a binary file.

If after rebuilding pwd.db you still get the same error messages, remove
that install of Netscape and install it again from our own ports or
packages collection.  It will almost certainly work from there, and we'll
be in a much better position to support your efforts, then ;-)

Hope this helps,

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2