Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 1996 00:39:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nathan Stratton <nathan@netrail.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-question@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the max network IO on a FreeBSD box?

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Everything after that tends to be latency, assuming you have a very
> fast box.  Latency translates into pool retention time, which for
> any given bandwidth translates into memory requirements.

How fast of a CPU should I get? P5 133, 160, should I go to P6?

> T1 is slow; it shouldn't be a problem.  The best number's I've seen
> for FDDI is 60-something  Mbit/S... 2/3's of one wire bandwidth.
>
> You should go over the list archives for the -current list to get the
> actual performance figures on the 100 Mbit/S tests (I didn't run them,
> I'm just quoting from memory).

Ya, have been looking, but have not found any performance figures yet. This
is what I want to do:

|               | 24 Mbps frac T3 transit into MCI
|               |
|               |
| FDDI |--------|----------| Customer T1's
|------| nr-1-arlington-va |-----
|      |---------------|---|
|                      |
|                      |

|------| nr-2-arlington-va |-----
|      |-------------------|

| FDDI |-------------------| Customer T1's
|------| nr-3-arlington-va |-----
|      |---------------|---|
|                      |
|                      |
|                      | T1 to Atlanta POP
|

| FDDI |----------------------| FDDI into MAE-East Giga Switch Port
|------| Mae-East.netrail.net |-------------------------------------
|      |----------|-----------|
|                 |
|                 | 27 Mbps frac T3 to Customer
|                 |
|                 |

I am going to try SDL's PCI T3 cards, and the DEC FDDI cards. I want to
make sure this will work so this new frac T3 customer will not get
screwed. If this will not work the only other thing I know of is a Cisco
7505 and that is BIG bucks, min system that will work for 2 FDDI and 1 T3
is about $57,000. If anyone has any info on this let me know. I know I can
get the bandwidth from MCI and our MAE-East to cover the new frac T3
connection, but not sure if the FreeBSD routers will do it.

Nathan Stratton		  CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales@netrail.net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Access: (703) 524-4802 guest
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34