Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:58:31 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysqld out of memory

--------------enigDB3FECBC91B0A3FF2D5C3C19

Valentin Bud wrote:

>=20
> I noticed that it is already at 1GB. Now my problem is how can i avoid =
this
> in the future because
> on that production server mysql is crucial or in case it happens how ca=
 I be
> the first to know
> of that problem?

If you examine the mysql-server script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d you'll see
it supports the "mysql_limits" option for rc.conf. Set
mysql_limits=3D"YES" to /etc/rc.conf and the server start with removed li=
mits.

You can increase maxdsiz (which is different than limits) by adding a
line to loader.conf, something like:

kern.maxdsiz=3D2GB
kern.dfldsiz=3D2GB

Note that you can't increase it to more than 3 GB on i386.

Another thing is that mysql shouldn't take infinite amounts of memory to
work. You need to configure entries in my.cnf to match your limits and
maxdsiz (in steady state + estimated spikes).