Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:24:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        sprice@hiwaay.net
Cc:        simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ports collection?

 * Some math libraries come with assembly for multiple platforms.
 * A good example is the GNU gmp library.  I do agree however that
 * we should probably seriously consider adding ${ARCH}_ONLY and
 * BROKEN_${ARCH} to bsd.port.mk.

Well, the idea was to have a "Makefile.${ARCH}" that defines these
stuff.  Do you think having variables is better?

 * I'll have some time after next Wednesday (family reunion in
 * Texas starting tomorrow) to work up some patches.  Got any
 * preferences for the new features.  One think someone should
 * probably take a look at how (Net|Open)BSD is handling this.
 * They have a ports tree that looks somewhat like our own and
 * surely they have something in there to handle multiple archs.

"Someone". :)

Meanwhile, if you can get them to work with "#ifdef __alpha" or
whatever, go right ahead.  Shimokawa-san, do you want commit access?

 * I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a weekly status report.  I'll
 * let Satoshi speak for himself. :)  However we should probably
 * hold off on sending this out to everyone at least in the very
 * near term until we get established who's doing what and where
 * all the packages are going to live.  Otherwise we'll be fielding
 * tons of Email asking where things are and if our only answer
 * is "on our personal machines" they could get miffed.

I can create a package-alpha dir on wcarchive if someone can build the
packages.  Actually, are those buildable on i386 machines under a
chroot dir?  If so, I can even build those myself. :)

Satoshi