Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:10:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/5568: Problems with 'moused'.

The following reply was made to PR bin/5568; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To: rneswold@mcs.net
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:04:09 +0900

 >>Number:         5568
 >>Category:       bin
 >>Synopsis:       Problems with 'moused'.
 >>Confidential:   no
 >>Severity:       non-critical
 >>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE i386
 >>Environment:
 >
 >I have a Mouse Systems three-button mouse connected to /dev/cuaa0. My
 >/etc/rc.conf sets up 'moused' to use the mousesystems protocol and use
 >-D as an extra command line option.
 >
 >My X configuration uses the mousesystems protocol on /dev/sysmouse.
 >
 >This setup has worked flawlessly for the past six months.

 >After applying the latest moused patches (merged from -current, I believe)
 >I recompiled the kernel and did a make world. Now 'moused' doesn't recognize
 >my mouse.
 >
 >I invoked 'moused' with the "show info" option and it couldn't determine
 >what my mouse type was. Removing 'moused' and having X talk directly to
 >cuaa0 works. The mouse operates fine with just X. It appears that something
 >got broken in the moused upgrade.

 It is just that the "-i type" (show info) option probably couldn't
 determine what your mouse is.  `moused' is not able to detect the
 protocol type of the serial mouse if the mouse does not support the
 PnP COM device specification.

 Would you manually invoke `moused' in foreground, debug mode?

 moused -t mousesystems -D -f -d -p /dev/cuaa0

 (You must be root to do this.)  Now move mouse and see debug output.
 You will see button status and X Y count values on screen.  See if
 mouse movement and printed values agree.

 Type ^C to stop `moused'.

 Kazu