Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:52:38 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>, Zach Barnett <zpb@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Packages and Ports [pkg vs portupgrade? taken off-list]

On Sunday 31 March 2002 10:42 pm, Peter Leftwich wrote:
| On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:
| > PL> [1] Where do you run "build patch" (i.e. cd to which dir first)?
| > PL> [2] What if you type "which build" and it is not found?

That would be normal . . . it's just my brain that needs updating.

| > You run "make patch", and you do it in /usr/ports/<category>/<port>.
| > 	<mike
| > --
| > Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
| > Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more
| > information.
|
| I sort of figured that after I posted, since make and build seem to become
| more and more interchangeable.  Is there a recursive flag to "make?"  Does
| portupgrade (which can work(s) on the entire /usr/ports/ tree I understand)
| have a flag to run all the make install and make patch etc commands once
| all port files have been updated?

Sorry, I'm in the habit of using "build" as the verb for what the "make"
command does and sometimes when I get ahead of myself I say to "build
-something" when in fact the command to "build" a program is called "make."

Sort of like saying to "list" a file even tough "ls" is the command, or
"delete" a file even though "rm" is the command.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org