Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:28:10 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        John Indra <maverick@office.naver.co.id>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: malloc() and the stock Perl in -CURRENT (and -STABLE)

* John Indra <maverick@office.naver.co.id> [020313 19:47] wrote:
> Dear all...
>
> This morning I found a very interesting mail. All of you can see it from:
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1669241+0+current/freebsd-questions

FreeBSD 5.0 has (being a developer release) has special diagnostics
turned on in malloc that causes it to take more time to do allocations.

see the malloc(3) manpage and make sure to disable these features
if doing benchmarks.

I'm sorry I can't find out all the other tweaks needed to get the
best performance out of 5.x, perhaps the -doc people can point
us the way.

niether the tuning(7) manpage nor
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.html
describe this...