Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:14:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIS

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Chuck Robey scribbled this message on Jun 24:
> > I have been reading about NIS, trying to come to grips with it all, but I
> > haven't been able to com eup with an answer to one last stumbling block.
> > Maybe someone here knows what I don't ...
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out a flexible and reliable setup for a small ISP
> > that has maybe 5 machines.  What I would ideally like is to have a main
> > server, have the database on that server duplicated on a second machine
> > just in case the first machine has to go down for maintenance (or some
> > catastrophe), and the rest of the machines be slaves.  I'm particularly
> > interested in the passwd map.
>
> actually.. FreeBSD's NIS implementation is quite secure... as long as
> you know your wires are secure there shouldn't be any problems...

John-Mark, you've misunderstood me somewhat.  I'm not concerned with
security from a hackers viewpoint (yet), I'm worried about having the
master server go down.  I want a fallback to aonther server, with only a
little loss, even from a booting perspective ... I mean, if a slave master
can't find a main master on boot, it needs to have a fallback that is at
least reasonably up to date.

I know exactly how the map files get built _and_ get updated.  I'm not
concerned with the db files, I'm worried about the method that the slave
server would use if it couldn't find the master, when it boots.  I'm
willing to lose the last few hours of passwd activity,  so what happens in
that case?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |