Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:00:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/17793: Keyboard not found

The following reply was made to PR misc/17793; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To: lost@quake.ru
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
	yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 22:57:33 +0900

 >>Number:         17793
 >>Category:       misc
 >>Synopsis:       Keyboard not found
 [...]
 >>Originator:     Danila Prusakov
 >>Release:        4.0 RELEAS From iso
 >Install with CD-ROM or Flopies impossible
 >Message on the screen:
 >keyboard: no
 >
 >BTX loader....
 >And nothing further does not occur
 >
 >I have INTEL MU410EX motherbard with ps/2 keyboard

 This sounds like a known limitation of our boot block.  See below.

 Q: When I try to boot the install floppy, I see the following message
    and nothing seems to be happening.  I cannot enter anything from
    the keyboard either.

      Keyboard: no

 A: Due to lack of space, full support for old XT/AT (84-key) keyboards
    is no longer available in the bootblocks.  Some notebook computers may
    also have this type of keyboard.  If you are still using this kind of
    hardware, you will see the above message appears when you boot from
    the CD-ROM or an install floppy.

    As soon as you see this message, hit the space bar, and you will see
    the prompt:

      >> FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
      Default: x:xx(x,x)/boot/loader
      boot:

    Then enter `-Dh', and things should proceed normally.

 I have heard that this problem exists on some motherboards even if the
 keyboard is not one of those old models.

 Kazu