Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 22:10:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The 3.0-970920-SNAP CD has been cancelled.

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > On Sun, Sep 21, 1997 at 05:21:46PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > > Sorry, we gave it our best shot [etc]
> > >
> > > Just FYI.  Since the previous 3.0 SNAP is from May 23rd, I think we'll
> > > also stop selling that one and simply put the SNAPshot product line to
> > > sleep for awhile.
> >
> > Is this a recognition of what many of us have been suspecting, that
> > -CURRENT is becoming less -STABLE?  Wouldn't it be time to do a bit of
> > thinking about how we can improve the situation?
>
> Well, while I think that we can always stand to improve our
> development methodologies, it's also fair to say that running things
> as a volunteer development effort will *always* impose certain
> penalties and limit what it's possible to achieve in a given
> time-frame.

I agree here.  Look around at any other volunteer OS.  You guys might be
surprised, actually, at how many there are (most are tiny).  I had to
become aware of some more, while working on the educational OS I've been
involved with.  Anyhow, compare FreeBSD's development with anyone else's
out there, and maybe you'd agree with me, that no one else even comes
close to the right mix of active development and stability we have.

If you force current to be more stable, you'd lose some of that, maybe a
lot.  If we relax the rules on current (going in the other direction),
we'd lose our stability.  As it is, current is, yes, broken a lot.  It
always has been, we all know that, it goes thru cycles, and this is
another low points.  We can all remember high points, too.

Not that I mind anyone complaining, that's good negative feedback, let's
hear more.  Complaints are good, just let's not translate that too rapidly
into concrete rules.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |