Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 18:39:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        Arthur Chance <arthur-list-bsd@erewhon.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Subject:   RE: IP6

Quoting Arthur Chance <arthur-list-bsd@erewhon.demon.co.uk>:

> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> > Consider that companies like Microsoft have entire class B public
> > subnets assigned to them. [...]  It's highly
> > unlikely that Microsoft has more than 200-300 devices that are
> > authorized to accept incoming TCP connections initiated from hosts
> > on the Internet.
>
> There's a worse case. A (very) large multinational corporation I've
> recently stopped working for has a class A network assignment and an
> official IT policy that no address on it will ever be visible to the
> outside world. AFAIK all their publically visible web sites have class
> C addresses and most are hosted by third party companies.

Exactly my point.  ARIN (or probably RIPE if they got their numbering
out of Europe) should be charging them a million dollars a year to
hold on to that block.  Since no IP numbers are visible, there is no
need to keep that block tied to one company.  Think of the thousands
of ISP's that this could provide numbering for.

Ted