Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 21:29:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        des@flood.ping.uio.no, kbyanc@alcnet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modex support (again)

It seems Mike Smith wrote:
> > To summarize, it seems like a lot of trouble just to get 40 additional
> > scanlines and square pixels on obsolete hardware - anything that
> > doesn't support 'options VESA' was already obsolete five years ago.
>
> Unfortunately, it's the trend these days to _not_ support anything at
> all interesting in your VESA extensions.  See eg. the nVidia Riva TNT
> firmware.

Endeed, they are going new ways allready, VESA support is an endangered
animal half dead allready.

We have to face it, the only way to use modern video HW is to have a
driver that understands it. That is the exact problem, and why I'm
very happy for the work the Xfree86 guys are doing.

You can do mode-crap-of-the-day on some oldish and som newish HW, but
whats the point ?? If you need a wierd resolution for a game or
such, have the game set up the VGA regs, and be with it. Using graphics
for much else is just retro-computing coming true :)
(said the man that did our current video driver, and lots of graphics
utils for it, including the minmalistic libvgl, and loved it).

-Søren