Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 22:21:24 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        User Datagram Protocol <udp@closed-networks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pid file for named

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 01:25:31PM +0100, User Datagram Protocol wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 01:16:06PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 06:48:05AM -0500, Frank Tobin wrote:
> > > One often wishes to run daemons such as named under other users, e.g.,
> > > bind:bind.  In order to allow bind to write out zones and associated fun
> > > stuff correctly, one then does a
> >
> > For dns, surely djb's servers are a better choice where security is a
> > priority?
> >

> I have no firm figures, just subjective time perception, but a box running
> djb's dnscache seemed a heck of a lot slower than another box running regular
> BIND at doing reverse lookups...

That hasn't been my experience, and I'm running djb's (that's Daniel J.
Bernstein, if anyone's wondering) dnscache/tinydns everywhere. If you have
performance problems, try posting a message to dns@list.cr.yp.to and see if
anyone has anything to offer.

I've been BIND-free since dnscache's first alpha release, and I haven't had a
single problem.

http://cr.yp.to/dnscache.html, for anyone who's interested.

Chris