Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:14:45 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Mike D <d01f1n@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd ignores "natd_flags"?

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:51:25AM +0000, Mike D wrote:
> > [I think this question should be redirected to -questions or -net, but
> > anyway...]
>
> should only programming questions be posted here?
>
> > do you have IPFIREWALL in your kernel ? is is configured "default to
> > deny" ? This is typically what is bugginig me when natd fails to write a
> > packet : a nasty firewall rule...
>
> I have a ipfw rules file, the point is I want to log the deny natd messages,
> not see them.
>

> > man ipfw & read the handbook, section networking (correct me if i'm
> > wrong).
>
> I don't think this is an ipfw issue - the failure msg comes from natd, not
> ipfw. Could be wrong of course!
>

> > Olivier
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:49:37AM +0000, Mike D wrote:
> > > I have in my rc.conf:
> > >
> > > natd_enable="YES"
> > > natd_interface="xl1"
> > > natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
> > >
> > > and in /etc/natd.conf:
> > >
> > > interface xl1
> > > dynamic yes
> > > use_sockets yes
> > > same_ports yes
> > > log_denied yes
> > >
> > > however, since I am still seeing the "host4 natd[198]: failed to write
> > > packet back (Permission denied)" messages, I'm guessing "log_denied" is
> > > not being picked up.

The logging that the conf file is talking about is logging packets
that are denied by natd.  This is not what is happening to you, hence
you are seeing these messages.  natd is trying to tell you that
something in your configuration for natd/ipfw is broken.  You can
adjust syslogd to log them to /var/log/messages, but it would be much
better to fix the issue.

Josh