Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 2008 23:25:31 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Perforce and `p4 diff2' against the origin

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 16:50:38 +0200, Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Because my mpsafetty project in Perforce is going quite well, I'm
> considering running some kind of cron job to generate nightly diffs, so
> other people (interested friends, colleagues and others) to test my
> work.
>
> I've read `p4 help diff2' and it seems you can run the following
> command:
>
> 	p4 diff2 -b mpsafetty
>
> Unfortunately this command just does a braindead diff against the latest
> FreeBSD vendor source, which is not useful in my case. I just want it to
> generate a diff against the version I integrated.
>
> Is it possible to do this with Perforce?

Yes, as long as you have a 'base' version to diff against.  I'd probably
try something like:

    p4 diff2 -du //depot/vendor/freebsd/head/... //depot/user/ed/mpsafetty/...

The only tricky part with diff2 is that it expects depot-based paths, as
it runs the diff `in the server', not against local workspace files.