Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 00:41:50 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        David McNett <dmcnett@hfdirect.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Subject:   Re: telnet software

David McNett wrote:

> On 26-May-2000, Chris Fedde wrote:
> > I've looked at this recently (with a view to supporting ssh-v1) I find that
> > tterm has superior user interface and emulation to putty.  For shear
> > accuracy of emulation though, I'd go with kermit.
>
> As far as putty is concerned, I've never been comfortable running an ssh
> client by someone who not only refuses to implement rsa authentication,
> but also seems to lack understanding as to why rsa authentication is a good
> thing to have.

	That is a mischarecterization of the author's position, which can be
found at the end of
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist.html. If you
don't want to use putty, don't. But please don't cast aspersions on
someone just because they don't agree with the "wisdom" of your
position. Personally I agree that trying to do something like RSA
identity file authentication from a windows machine is a giant security
nightmare.

	I've used putty for a year and a half now, and I've found it to be
ideal for the niche that it's designed to occupy. I've corresponded with
the author (in the course of tracking down a display bug) and found him
to be both responsive and sharp.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire