Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 12:32:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        macgyver@infinet.com (Wilson MacGyver)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, macgyver@infinet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dell EIDE drive data corruption with FreeBSD?

> > Is this the flawed IDE chipset that loses data if you interleave I/O?
> >
> > If so, the answer is to change your CMOS settings.
>
> Yes it is, but I thought the FreeBSD IDE driver is not affected by this bug?

It does not initiate DMA's.  DMA completion is not the only thing that
could cause an interrupt.  A bad spot on the disk, two disks on the
same controller, or an IDE CDROM can also trigger the problem.

Since FreeBSD doesn't use bus mastering DMA, it doesn't trigger the bug
if all you have is one disk, or two disks from the same manufacturer
which are configured correctly (I have heard som reports on Conner,
but nothing verified).

Either way, it can't *hurt* FreeBSD for you to set the CMOS settings
to get around the bug.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---