Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 19:51:18 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>, Andrew Davydov <davydov@ns.okbmei.msk.su>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GUS PnP on 2.1R

> > Eh?  The GUS is supported.  The PnP isn't necessarily, but the GUS itself is
> > the currently recommended piece of hardware for any serious audio.
>
> My apologies if I was wrong, but it was my impression that the PnP couldn't
> just be dropped into a FreeBSD system and work out of the box.  Isn't there
> rather different setup/probe code for the PnP?  That's the impression I
> got from reading Amancio's postings, anyway.
>
> Amancio?  Would you care to give a definitive opinion? :-)
>
> 					Jordan

No need for apologies...

I am going to support the GUS PnP Pro  thats the GUS PnP with 512k .
The card needs memory to configure itself for GUS Max emulation.

This is the entry on my system to get the GUS PnP working:
controller      snd0
device gus0 at isa?  vector gusintr

Basically, the gus driver looks for a GUS PnP in the system and then
configures the card for the user. Very, very complicated I must say 8)

Now if the motherboard does not support PnP or there is some weird
conflict on the sytem then just use the old style configuration for
the GUS Max:
device gus0 at isa? port  0x220 irq 11 drq 1 flags 0x3 vector gusintr

Now the only gotcha that I have over here is that playback using
16bit dma is not working other than that the card is working fine.
So if I specify dma 1 for playback and dma 3 for recording the
driver works just fine.

If I don't get the gus pnp 16bit dma  support tonite I will release the driver
however you guys will have to configure the card the old way to use
8 bit dma channels.

I will be back in a few hours this system  is going up and down till
I can figure out what the hell is going on with 16bit dma playback.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio