Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:44:31 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Stu Brown' <stuartb@abs.karoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Porting JDK1.2.2 to OpenBSD

Dear Stu,

> > > Thanks for the mail. I'm not sure whether to continue trying
> > > to get jdk1.2.2
> > > built natively on OpenBSD to be honest, at the moment I've
> > > got the blackdown jdk running and that seems to be working ok.
> > >
> > On OpenBSD? Ok. I thought that there was not JDK at all on OpenBSD.
>
> Yeah sorry...I meant "trying to build the port of jdk1.2.2 on
> openbsd" ;-)

You're still confusing me. Do any JDK's run on OpenBSD? If so, how? Which?
Why? (no, skip the last one).

> I was concerned about performance as the server is gonna be
> co-located at a
> hosting company, thus it will have a decent amount of
> bandwidth...another
> thing is that we're using tomcat to mainly run an online
> application using a
> mysql database, which can be quite process intensive (i.e.
> for things like
> running reports etc) and there'll be a number of clients using it
> simultaneously...although to be honest this new server we've installed
> openbsd on is such an upgrade from our old box, that is is a
> lot faster anyway ;-)

*shrug* Best benchmark and profile it before you start optimizing parts of
it. The biggest speed hits are taken from design decisions, IMHO. These far
outweigh (sp?) what a JIT can give you. Also, if it's raw CPU power you need
don't factor out getting a CPU upgrade instead of actually improving your
code. How many manhours does a CPU cost, and what's the speedup per
man-hour? :-)

Here we had a situation where a client demanded "absolute real-time
performance!". What he meant was that he wanted a human to be able to see a
certain action in the database when he next asked for the reports page. That
actually gives the application a few precious seconds to buffer database
accesses, allowing us to write 10-20 records at a time instead of individual
records. And to think that we were shopping around for faster databases. :)

    Kees Jan