Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:48:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Burton Sampley <bsampley@bsampley.vip.best.com>
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can SCO & FreeBSD coexist?

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Burton Sampley wrote:

> I've been trying to get SCO Unixware 2.1.2 (the free version) and FBSD to
> coexist on the same system.  So far they don't seem to like each other.
>
> Here's what I've tried:
>
> Installed M$ DOS/Lose95 (for games only!) then FBSD (3.0) then SCO to a
> single HD (4.3 gig 'cuda on a 2940).  What's happening is SCO starts as
> 2.1.1 then I have to install the patches and rebuild the kernel to bring
> it up to 2.1.2 (which is needed to get Morning Star PPP working and to
> load Netscape).  Sometime after I rebuild the kernel FBSD starts puking.
> When I attempt to boot FBSD fsck pukes on the /var partition. So far I
> haven't been able to recover FBSD (I usually have to re-install FBSD).

How odd.

1.  What is the exact error message FreeBSD is giving you?
2.  Are oyou trying to install both ssytems to the same filesystem?  The
SCO and FreeBSD FS's are _not_ compatible.
3.  SCO's install isn't trying to overwrite part of the FreeBSD slice, is
it?

> I posted a message to one of the Unixware newsgroups.  One of the
> recall some problems with FBSD and OS-BS (don't flame me if I'm wrong).

We pack OS-BS with FreeBSD; AFAIK it works fine.

> Any suggestions on how to get both to coexist?  Am I the only person
> having this kind of trouble?  The reason I'm trying to get SCO working is
> to attempt to learn Sys-V Unix.  I'm also open to other alternatives, if
> someone is aware of something equal or better (and is also FBSD
> friendly) than SCO.  I've thought about Solaris (I think I can get an
> educational copy for around $100), but Solaris is supposed to be a blend
> of BSD & SYS V.

Solaris, like Linux, is a beast all it's own, so your observation is
mostly true.  Solaris of recent has taken a strong SYSV bent.