Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:05:34 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        billy jack <hiteresa@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatability

On Wednesday, 16 February 2000 at  0:09:47 -0800, billy jack wrote:
> i have heard of free-BSD from some of my friends and have decided to
> look into it. i have a few questions witch i was unable to find on
> your site either due to its absence or just my overlooking it. i was
> wondering if free-BSD will run on Sun's ultra sparc processor
> specificaly there ultra sparc 80 workstation?  and if so will it
> support the quad chipset?

No.  FreeBSD runs on Intel and Compaq Alpha chips only.  NetBSD has
experimental support for UltraSPARC (http://www.NetBSD.org/).

> another question i have is about the compatability with microsofts
> operationg systems (win 95-98 and so on) i know that hardcore linux
> users spit at the thought of microsoft products but compatability is
> an important thing for me as i have much good software that is only
> available on the windows platform.

What do you mean by compatibility?  You'll have trouble getting
FreeBSD to crash as easily as Microsoft, for example.  FreeBSD doesn't
run (many) Microsoft programs directly, but it can read Microsoft file
systems.  Check the online handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html for more information.

> please reply to this with any information you may be able to give to
> this email address hiteresa@hotmail.com

Please don't request this kind of special treatment.  You should set
your mail headers to where you want the reply to go.  In this case,
however, they're correct.

Greg