Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 1997 23:45:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charlie Sorsby <crs@swcp.com>
To:        crs@hamlet.lanl.gov, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need help with dump parameters

I'm behind in news again so, if it wouldn't be too much trouble,
I'll appreciate a Cc: to crs@swcp.com or crs@hamlet.lanl.gov.
Thanks.

I'm running FreeBSD 2.1.5 and using and Archive 150 SCSI tape
drive.

I believe that this drive is similar if not identical to the Sun
150 MB tape drive.  Is that correct?

Sun recommended (under SunOS 4.x) the following:

dump 0cusf 1500 /dev/rst? <filesystem>

Man dump shows no "c" option under FreeBSD so I eliminated that
(and, temporarily, the "u" option) and tried:

dump 0sf 1500 /dev/rst0 /home

after umounting /home.

But trying that on my system, dump claims that it will need more
than 9 tapes to dump a filesystem that df claims to have just over
500 blocks.  Clearly this is not the right set of parameters.

It seems to me that two tapes should be more than adequate.

Where does one obtain information for the proper parameters for
dump?

What dump command line *should* I use?

--
Best,

Charlie "Older than dirt" Sorsby      Los Alamos, NM     "I'm the NRA!"
       crs@swcp.com www.swcp.com/~crs		     Life Member since 1965