Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:11:33 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl kern.fallback_elf_brand

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 10:31:46AM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > The real fix is to teach the ELF image loader to read the .note.ABI-tag
> > section.  Then statically linked Linux binaries would be correctly
> > identified [since our branding scheme isn't accepted by anyone other than
> > us].
>
> The use of the section seems broken to me. It's the first time I've
> heard of it (so I won't really know how it's used :-). AFAICT, ABI
> information is written in e_ident[EI_OSABI] and annotated with flags in
> e_flags. That should be enough for our ELF loader.

Please, PLEASE, P-L-E-A-S-E don't go there.  TRUST me on this one.  The
topic of ELF branding was the nastiest thread in a GNU toolchain mailing
list I've ever been involved in.

See http://people.freebsd.org/~obrien/ei_osabi-binutils.mbox

You may have your position due to it actually being specified [at one
time] in the IA-64
psABI(http://developer.intel.com/design/ia-64/downloads/245370.htm).  The
spec is wrong, the committee changed this many months ago, yet never
bothered to fix the doc for the rest or the world for a long time.  So
unless you are one of the {\extream_sarcasm Blessed}, you wouldn't know
this.  Go pester Cary Coutant of HP (in Cupertino even) about it.

Note that the ELF *ABI people will not address our needs of dealing with
foreign static binaries:

    For statically-bound programs, I'm afraid we don't have a clear
    solution.  We took the general approach that such programs are not
    ABI-conforming in the first place

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX