Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 1995 22:16:17 -0800
From:      "Robert A. Buaas" <buaas@wireless.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   WD21000 - 1GB disk won't fsck

Has anyone else had trouble with this particular disk? (WD Cavier 21000:
1.04 Gb, 2100 cyl, 16 hd, 63 sec, IDE. Host is Cyrix 486DX2-80, ISA IDE card,
VGA display adapter and NE2000 network card. Nothing fancy...

After answering all the questions correctly, "commiting", the machine hangs
trying to create the root filesystem on /dev/rwd0a. Disk lite on, HUNG....

LBA is turned off in the BIOS, if that matters. I tried changing the disk
geometry (G command) to 1024/16/63, but the block seems not to be recomputed
for the A (use all disk) command, so I'm left with the 1GB's worth of space.

rebooting a DOS system, FDISK shows that the MBR and partition table was
written by FreeBSD. I'm doing all this with 2.1.0-RELEASE, but also verified
with 2.0.5-061295 SNAP kernel-on-floppy.

Assistance much appreciated, always some learning. Thanks in advance.

best regards/bob