Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 11:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, dcross1@mail.nycap.rr.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, dcross1@mail-atm.nycap.rr.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem resolutions...

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> >>   Ok, maybe I am just being obtuse... (maybe I am just a Computer
> >> Scientist), but I need this
> >> explicitly said to me; what is the propper order for compiling?
> > First 'make world', then kernel.  Almost always true.  (There may be
> > specific cases where you should get away from the kernel because it eats
> > filesystems or something...)
>
> Why is that?  I would expect some execs to depend on kernel features,
> not vice versa.

  Because many of those execs are not needed during normal operation.  For
example, if the ifconfig kernel interface is changed.  If you install the
kernel first, you won't be able to config your network interfaces on boot.
If you do a "make world" first, then install the kernel, then reboot,
chances are you won't even notice.

> Happy hacking,
> joelh

Tom