Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:18:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Geoffrey C. Speicher" <geoff@speicher.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   pcm0: record interrupt timeout, channel dead

I've read a lot in the various FreeBSD mailing lists about people having
various problems with their sound card.  Mine is not much different than
some that I've seen.  Unfortunately I haven't seen a solution.

I'm willing to start digging in the sound code if I can get some pointers
about where to start (I've done FreeBSD kernel tinkering before, but not
where device drivers were involved).

In short, the sound card works fine (AFAICT) when playing, but I get a
failure when trying to record.  Specifically, when I try:

 $ cat /dev/dsp >test.wav

I get the following back from cat:

 cat: /dev/dsp: Invalid argument

and I get this on the console:

 pcm0: record interrupt timeout, channel dead

I'm running 4-STABLE from yesterday.  The sound is integrated on my
motherboard, and gives the following at boot:

pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xb400-0xb43f irq 5 at device 5.0 on pci2

Curiously enough, ecasound doesn't cause the console error message when I
try to record using:

 ecasound -i /dev/dsp -o test.wav

but instead just records silence.

Another interesting fact: if I set the KDE artsd to use full duplex, then
artsd seems to enter an infinite loop, hogging the CPU and not responding.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Geoff