Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:04:21 -0700
From:      "D. G. Lawrence" <dg@dglawrence.com>
To:        "Vladislav V. Zhuk" <admin@dru.dn.ua>
Cc:        Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck lasting several hours (and then forever) after crash

>> > We had a problem like this when an ATA disk went bad--the kernel would
>> > seem to hang while trying to read the bad part of the disk. Try booting
>> > into single-user mode (boot -s) and then try reading all the disk's
>> > blocks. If it hangs doing this, then you know it's not fsck's fault:
>> >
>> >     dd if=/dev/ad0s1c of=/dev/null bs=64k
>> >

>> Now that is a good idear! Thanks. I dropped to single user mode and did
>> dd if=/dev/ad4s1h of=/dev/null bs=64k. It appears that fsck is not the problem
>> but my disk is going bad.
>
>Every harddisk will be bad one day. fsck MUST be able to mark bad blocks
>and recover residuary data on the disk. Or freebsd must have another tool
>for recover data from harddisk with bad blocks.
>Why under other OS it's a no problem?? (one week ago I recover FreeBSD data
>under M$ DOS. FreeBSD can't do anything with partition with bad blocks,
>fsck even can't finish check).
>Why other OS has tools for test surface HDD ??
>
>I like FreeBSD, but this OS absolutely don't ready for problem with disks,
>that will come soon or late with every HDD !!
>
>(I know about backup, RAID and other. I troubled by problem discovered
>above).
>
>Sorry for my english.

   It's apparantly a problem with the ATA driver, and not a problem with
fsck. fsck actually does deal with bad blocks and can normally get past
them if they are reported properly by the driver.

-DG

D.G.Lawrence
Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com - (888) 346 7175
The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Pave the road of life with opportunities.