Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2014 15:03:32 +1000
From:      Ruben Schade <newsgroups@rubenschade.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg must be version 1.3.8 or greater

On 25/09/14 01:18, Dale Scott wrote:
>> On Sep 24, 2014, at 3:44 AM, Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 2:44 AM, Ruben Schade <newsgroups@rubenschade.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Running FreeBSD amd64 10.0-RELEAESE-p9. Installed everything from pkg,
>>> very nice system.
>>>
>>> Prefer building nginx from ports, so portsnapped the latest tree and did
>>> the usual:

>>> Got the following error:
>>>
>>> ===>  nginx-1.6.2,2 pkg(8) must be version 1.3.8 or greater, but you have
>>> 1.3.7. You must upgrade pkg(8) first.
>>>
>>> Running pkg update however:

>>> And pkg upgrade:

>>> Fairly new to pkgng, could that "1 candidates" line be the updated pkg I
>>> need in waiting?
>>

>> Scenarios like this are the reason I've deployed and been using Poudriere
>> to build private repos because intermingling the two systems has proven to
>> introduce numerous challenges through my own experiences and observations
>> on a number of mailing lists.
>
> I respectfully disagree that combining the two is unworkable, although I am only dealing with two apps built from ports (and 20'ish from binary packages).
>
>> It is simple to setup a system to build private repos with Poudriere, but
>> one doesn't even need Poudriere to do it.  A private repo is as simple to
>> build as building the packages via Ports, copying them to your repo
>> directory, and running `pkg repo` on it.
>
> That's not as hard as I thought, but still more steps. If I hit the wall with my simple strategy I'll try yours.
>
> Dale

Thanks everyone, that explains it.

Since FBSD 10, I've been trying to see if I can live entirely on pkg,
having lived entirely on ports before. Ended up in same boat as you
Dale, binary pkg for almost everything, but ports for these specific apps.

I'll build pkg from ports, and try again. I'll look into Poudriere too.

Cheers :)

--
Ruben Schade
VM chap in s/Singapore/Sydney/