Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2018 15:13:39 +0000
From:      Jonathan Bond-Caron <jbondc@gdesolutions.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vidcontrol -i with vt?

Hi,

After looking at upgrading from FreeBSD 10.4 to 11.2, I noticed vidcontrol =
-I no longer works:
root@freebsd11:~ # vidcontrol -i adapter
vidcontrol: getting adapter information: Inappropriate ioctl for device

See here for screenshots, the text just looks way too small on a 4k screen:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjH3xH9IR1AphexUlPprBBQB2TBGOw

After some digging I found 'CONS_MODEINFO'
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/usr.sbin/vidcontrol/vidcontr=
ol.c#L1137

Which is implemented in 'syscons':
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/syscons/scvidctl.c#L=
571

But not in 'vt':
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/vt/vt_core.c#L2324

That's also explained in:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
"No support for several vidcontrol(1) features."

Think appropriate patch to vt would be to add VESA mode support too:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/653c2af6aea50955f84c98c164cfd99ed=
b197426

Is anyone working on adding vidcontrol support to vt? Think I might explore=
 it in the upcoming months.
Currently, can the mode/resolution of FreeBSD 11 be changed in vt without a=
 graphics card?

I'm running FreeBSD as a VM in Hyper-V Server,

Best,
Jonathan