Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:35:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>
To:        Pierrick Brossin <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Easy Server

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Pierrick Brossin wrote:

> The first thing I said is "I have a server at home which is SME and it is a
> distribution that stand on one CD and it can install a full server
> (IMAP,POP,SMTP,DNS,HTTP,FTP,SSH,....) in 10-12 minutes .. Then you have a web
> interface to configure your server".
> I was trying to find the same kind of distribution but FreeBSD (or any other
> BSD) based.. That's all.
> Then someone suggested to make my own server. And I said the main problem in
> doing my own server is to make correct firewall rules.

I think there is indeed a communication problem here :-)
Pierrick, I don't know of any way to just do a 'base install' with all of
those packages on FreeBSD.
When you install FreeBSD using it's default installer (sysinstall), you
have the option of specifying which packages you want installed initially.
Just letting an installer install all of those packages on it's own is a
bad idea. It makes me dislike SME and I haven't really looked at it.

When you install a server, *you* should pick which packages to install. If
you want SMTP, then choose SMTP during the install. If you want HTTP, then
choose that.

Also, you seem to be under the impression that having a firewall will
protect you from lots of bad things. Really, it won't.
All it will do if say which IP addresses can connect to which ports.
And if you're running a service like DNS, HTTP or SMTP that you want open
to the whole world, a firewall won't really help you at all :-)
What is it you want fro myour firewall?