Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:00:40 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        ann kok <annkok2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail box question

On 2002-04-15 08:03, ann kok wrote:
> I have two mails (ann and angel) under /var/spool/mail
> I want to group in one 'ann' all mails are in ann's
> mailbox
> Can I use this command cat angel >> ann?

Yes, you can.  UNIX mbox format is a plain text file with all the
messages concatenated together, one after the other.  What you did is
not a nice idea though for other reasons.  You should first make sure
that nobody tries to deliver mail to any of the two mailboxes, since
Sendmail might try to deliver mail while the cat command is still
running and will make a mess of the destination mailbox.

> But I couldn't read angel's mail after doing it from
> ann's mail box

How did you try to read the mailbox?  What errors did you get?

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/