Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:42:29 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        pepper@rockefeller.edu, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/39852: Handbook: treatment of KERNCONF is inconsistent.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 12:14:37PM -0700, Ross Lippert wrote:

> What?
>
>   device pcm
>
> is in now part of GENERIC?

It is not last I checked.

> If not, then anyone who wants to get sound needs to build a custom kernel
> at least once.  Back in the 3.X pre-pcm days there were good reasons why
> you had to.  These days, there isn't.

Indeed. But these days, thanks to the fact that almost all drivers are
availbale as modules, you rarely need to go to the trouble of building
the kernel at all. Sound is no exception. You just kldload the snd
module and any bridge drivers optionally for your card and you are all
set. You can do this from /boot/loader.conf, so sound support will be
available right from the start. Quite some modules load themselves
automagically when needed too, but I am not sure for sound. In those
cases, you do nothing, and the module just gets loaded as soon as you
eg fire up a sound app. Rebuilding the kernel is an option, not a
necessity.

Life is just great sometimes:-)
--
Regards: