Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 02:03:27 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@kachina.jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a damn 2nd disk

> (I'm really pissed, so I probably shouldn't be sending this. I'll
> try not to flame, no promises though.)
>
> *Why* the hell is adding a 2nd disk to a currently running OS Guru
> level lore?

Because few people work with us to make it turnkey.

> It should be a turnkey operation like it is on other UNIX.

I await your code.

> Searching the archives and the docs produces *no* useful information,
> other than the fact that this is a FAQ and no one seems to answer it.

I await your text.

> So to summarize: WHY ISN'T THIS EASIER and WHAT CAN SOMEONE DO
> TO MAKE IT EASIER.

You can help me to rewrite sysinstall (look at the sources first
though, I don't want to have to walk you through it step by step) so
that it's more usable as a stand-alone tool.  You can help to rewrite
the documentation so that it presents this information in a clearer
fashion.

In other words, things get better around here because PEOPLE MAKE THEM
BETTER.  That's what a volunteer group like this is all about, and if
you think that there's some magic wellspring of effort that can be
tapped every time someone sends us a flame like this then you're very
much mistaken.  Most of our most useful features came out of someone
like yourself being frustrated by something AND DOING SOMETHING ABOUT
IT.

We know things are broken, and the lack of good disk-frobbing tools
has been a topic of discussion for only, oh, about 2 years now.
Unfortunately, most people feel that complaining about it is enough,
not actually doing anything substantive to improve it for the
end-user.  I can only hope that there's a special help desk in hell
for such people where they're forced to answer Win95 questions from
sewing machine operators for all eternity.

						Jordan