Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 02:27:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@sunyit.edu>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shared libraries?

> > If most of the libraries were converted to a shared lib format wouldn't
> > that reduce memory and disk space requirements tremendously?
> > not only that, but complile times and exec times would soar, woudn't they?
> >
> Believe it or not, shared libs often hurt more than help.  Even with an
> ideal scheme that is prelinked, a program can take MORE memory, not less.
> We share the .text of programs even without using shared libs.  In the
> case of shells, shared libs are usually a loose.  A rule of thumb that I use
> is (These are only my opinions):

I'm not arguing, just asking, why would using shared libraries hurt?
In a large system under a lot of user load executing programs(although
nowadays it's mostly personal workstations) or bringing up servers, why
should each instance of seperate programs which use the same exact
facilities takeing up signifigantly less memory be a problem,

take for instance:

a slew of programs are run each using the same suite of standard library
functions, only one copy of the routines need be present in memory.
i know that for forking only data is copied, and then only when it is
nessesary, but for each program we are talking about duplicated TEXT?

how can shared libs not be the answer?

also below, is there a reason several of the things listed don't use
shared libs?

i think i understand /bin and /sbin not using them, but i would never have
guessed that the text editors wouldn't as well as servers...?

if you can take the time to answer this i would be much appreciative :)

Alfred