Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 04:00:18 -0500
From:      "Ed Wynn" <edwynn42@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link problem

>Fine. I'm including another patch with a slight change. I don't know if
>this will make a difference or not since I've never known this step to be
>necessary.

Okay, tried this, same results.  Still getting a 6 in the capabilities.

>If this doesn't work, I suggest putting the card in a different
>PCI slot. No, really. Humor me.

I have tried it in three different slots, all same results.  Swapped the
order of the network and video card, because I've seen that cause problems
as well, but same results.

>Also, in a previous post, you reported the dmesg output from when the
>card was probed, but you "cleverly" decided to replace the MAC address
>with "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx". By doing this, you prevented me from seeing
>whether or not the driver actually read a valid ethernet address from
>the EEPROM. Yes, this information is important, yes you made a mistake
>by omitting it, no the world will not end if you reveal it to us. Go
>back and paste the information again, and this time don't mangle it.

The address is 00:50:ba:20:b5:54.  I wasn't trying to be clever or protect
myself.  I have seen others post it like this, and didn't realize it was
important.  That entire section was not pasted (since it doesn't appear that
messages are written to the log if the kernel crashes during boot), but was
hand-typed from notes I took observing the boot sequence about 20+ times
(since the info was scrolling off the top of the screen much faster than I
could write it down).  I got everything I thought was important, and didn't
bother to reboot a few more times to get the last bits.  I did know that it
wasn't anything obviously bogus like ff:ff... or 00:00...

>There is a slight possibility that you have tried to attach the RealTek
>driver to what might be a VIA Rhine card. This would imply some lameness
>on D-Link's part, but stranger things have happened.

I'm not familiar with the VIA Rhine.  How can I check this?

I appreciate the assistance, and will continue to do whatever you all
suggest may help (short of packing up the system and FedExing it to you to
work on).  I'm learning a lot from this, and hopefully the result is a
driver that can handle one more oddball special case.

Greg Schmidt (wondering how long he will contine to be edwynn42@hotmail.com)