Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:22:09 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <avatar+july2001@kew.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 09:38:34PM -0400, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> Well, maybe...  But I've Been Bitten In the A** by computers before
> (lotsa bullet-holes...) so I do have the heebie-jeebies wrt remote
> maintenance.  But it appears to me that it'd be the same regardless of
> the OS I"m using...

I've been doing SysAdm and running several =large= sites (like the
one that runs Hilton Hotels reservations systems) for something like
15 years now <ALT=greybeard.jpg>, but I'm about to move a datacenter
into a CoLo site for the first time.  Up until now, I've always
owned the datacenter.

We're still thinking about What All That Means.  And I'm frustrated
by the access I'll no longer have.

But one thing I intend to do is cross-wire the serial ports of each
redundant machine pairs we install and run serial consoles on them.  That
is, the pair of machines that are performing firewall duty (and database
duty, and web server duty, and Java servlet container duty...) will be
able to see each other's consoles on their serial ports.  That way, I
should be able to re-boot (and debug) the offline guy via the online
machine.

Elsewise, I'd put in a Shiva/TrailBlazer/<mumble> terminal server to
see =all= the serial ports.  But the above method eliminates a SPOF
(single-point-of-failure) and saves me one unit of rack space.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com