Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 20:25:09 -0500
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Failed Installworld... Help?

>>  > Hey all...
>>  >
>>  > Any ideas what might cause the following error?  I'm performing the
>install
>>  > as root from the console.   A friend suggested I might be running out of
>>  > space in one of my file systems, but I doubt that's the problem since all
>>  > my files systems have 400M free or more.  Any ideas?  Thanks!!!! --John
>>  >
>>  > ===> bin
>>  > ===> bin/cat
>>  > install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   cat /bin
>>  > /usr/obj/var/src/tmp/usr/libexec/elf/strip: /bin/stQ23863: Operation not
>>  > permitted
>>  > *** Error code 70
>>  >
>>  > Stop.
>>  > *** Error code 1
>>  >

>I ran into this type or error once.  I had downloaded a snap
>of 3.4-STABLE back in late December, 1999.  I was originally
>running 3.2-STABLE.  I forgot, and did a make world prior to
>making a new kernel.
>
>After the error, I compiled and installed a new kernel,
>rebooted, and then I was able to make buildworld and
>installworld with no problems.
>
>I hope this helps,
>Gene

Well, I rebuilt/reinstalled the kernel, and have restarted the
rebuilding... hopefully this will work.  I'm a bit, well, actually, REALLY
confused though, since the handbook says to rebuild the kernel *AFTER* you
do a make world - not before... if this works, then great. But I'm still
confused as to why it would make a difference?

Thanks agian,
John